Westerner World

Searching for Ghosts of Lubbock High

Some teachers here at Lubbock High, have been here many years, and have heard and seen a few strange and unexplainable things. They have told a few stories about the ghosts that roam our halls.
Mrs. Moreno in the front office has seen heard things ion her own office she said.
“I was sitting here at my desk one morning, I hear something fall and one of my pictures is on the floor.” Moreno said.
She also told a story about an apparition or shadow figure in the ROTC hall Moreno said.
“It was my first experience here, and it was during the summer. I was working summer school, and the janitors were waxing the floors and they had the hall blocked off but, when I walked by, I saw someone standing there and the walk away. I went and found one of the janitors and told them someone was in the hall they just waxed. They went to find the person, but when they went down the hall there was nobody, not even foot prints. I swear it was there because I looked straight at it.” Moreno said
Mrs. Moreno also said the truancy office down the 1100 hall, the clerk in there, Crystal Christiansen, has a story about an unexplained bang that unsettled her and a few students she had in her office.
“It was strange and one day last year I had a group of girls and we were sitting at this round table and all of a sudden a loud bang hit the door and nobody was here but us. I know it wasn’t like a breeze or the air; it was like someone hit the door it scared a lot of the kids at the time. A lot of the time the water turns on in our bathroom in here.” Christensen said.
Christiansen also had a secretary working with her that she believes had started the incidents in the truancy office, Christiansen said.
“I was in my office one day and one of the two doors I have was locked. The door I know was locked suddenly opened up into my office without anyone unlocking it or being around. I called my friend that is down the hall from me to come into my office. After my friend came into my office the same door closed without anyone touching it. My friend that used to be a secretary here has been known to have lots of artifacts from Columbia and a variety of strange dolls in the office near mine. Ever since my friend has left Lubbock High everything calmed down and the activity stopped.” Christiansen said.
The library is also very active with its past as a gymnastics gym. One of our librarians Mrs. Campbell has seen figures, heard whispers, voices and seen books fall.
“While I have been in here there have been books that have fallen off the shelf at night. It startles me because my first thought is; there is someone in the library. I usually just tell myself oh you’re tired or oh you’re hearing things.” Campbell said.
Mrs. Campbell and Mrs. Moreno have heard the same things at the same time while trying to work.
“Sometimes and Mrs. Marquez and I, will be at the circulation desk during lunch and we’ll be eating and we’ll hear whispering. She’ll say did you hear that and I’ll say yeah maybe some kids didn’t know we were closed up for lunch, but when I walk over there nothing. In the library the noises have been happening since I’ve been a librarian.” Campbell said.
Mrs. Campbell has been brave enough to do work alone, at night, in the library. She will come up to Lubbock High and work even on weekends.
“You know all the different sounds. So when you’re sitting there at night, I may be on the computer at the circulation desk or here in my office. At night you can hear like during the day sounds. So there will be no one in the building, before I would listen to music I would hear someone shift in a chair or someone flipping through a magazine. What I do now is when I come in I crank up some music throughout the speaker as loud as all get out so I don’t have to hear those noises.” Campbell said.
The other librarian Mrs. Moreno isn’t as brave as Mrs. Campbell; she refuses to be in the library at night, or even alone. The only way she can be in the library is if she is with someone.
“When I would stay here later I would turn off the lights and it was creepy because you could hear things like shuffling and moving. I always hurry up and get out of here. I wouldn’t come here at night. Unless the lights are on and there’s people in the school and someone is in here. I could not be in here alone. I don’t mind as long as Mrs. Campbell is here.” Marquez said.
No doubt the auditorium has some had a few people spooked in it to. The janitors have seen things and even Mrs. Campbell has.
“The one thing that bothered me the most was last May on the second floor where the balcony to the auditorium is and I was on the testing team and I had my clipboard going around picking up packets from teachers and not everyone had finished. I had just finished that classroom on the corner and I was walking straight and the hallway was empty. I stopped for a second at the stairs that go down at the brick banister. I felt somebody behind me and thought it was another teacher on the testing team I was about to turn around when I heard a voice whisper ‘hey’. I turn around and no one was there. It unnerved me and I said to myself you’re tired. So went to a few classrooms because students aren’t supposed to be out during testing unless it’s to use the bathroom. I asked a few teachers if they had let out any of their students and they all said no. I got out of there fast and when straight to the testing room. I was able to get passed the books and sound in the library but this, I can’t get passed.” Campbell said.
“10 years ago in the auditorium the curtains on the stage were moving like someone was behind them running their fingers along them as they walked across the stage. I’m not afraid of the school, but it’s scary when something happens.” Janitor Maricela said.
Mrs. Maricela has also seen full apparitions of students. One particular time was on the stairs on the third floor while she was cleaning.
“At the same time on two different days on the third floor on the day before there was a solid figure of a student sitting on the steps and it looked like he was on his phone and I asked him ‘what are you doing here’ and that student jumped up and took off running. I went and asked the janitors working on the second floor if they just saw a student leave. They said no student came had come down and they had been there the whole time.” Maricela said.
There is no doubt that there are ghosts, spirits, demons or whatever you call them at Lubbock High school. There are teachers and staff that need to see to believe that’s how Mrs. Campbell is.
“I’m one of those people I have to see to believe. I have trust issues because some things about ghosts are so farfetched. Some people are more easily influenced with things like ghosts and maybe it’s because of their own experiences. Maybe they’ve had a lot of experiences. Anyway no I do not believe in ghosts but I’m more receptive to the idea now that I’m older and how long I’ve been here” Campbell said.
Lubbock High has had some strange things happen in it like; shadows, moving chairs, whispers and even clear voices. There is something here in the school, and it’s probably been here a long and probably wont leave.