Westerner World

LHS Marksmanship makes it to Nationals

Adriana Chacon, 12, is getting ready to head to the JROTC Service Championship in Chandler, AZ. Through several hours up in the range and many, many competitions, she has qualified to be a part of this particular one.

“The process was shooting a 3×10 in all three positions. Prone, standing and kneeling. It’s all timed”, said Chacon about how she qualified to get to Nationals.

C/LT Chacon is one of the many NJROTC cadets that participate in Marksmanship here at LHS. But because of how good of a shot she is and how much effort she’s put forth, she’s qualified to go to the national competition in Chandler, AZ.

With her being the only LHS cadet participating in this, it’ll be quite interesting to see how things go for her there.

Marksmanship is just one of the many teams NJROTC offers for cadets to be a part of. There’s Armed Drill, Unarmed Drill, Academic, Colorguard and PT. But due to lack of representation, Marksmanship is often forgotten about.

In her last 3 and a half years in the LHS Marksmanship, she’s set many records. Many are personal, some for the school.

“Shooting 532 in a 3×20 was my absolute best, and I shot a 273 with shooting a zero by accident. That 273 score qualified me to get to Nationals.”, said Chacon, regarding some of her personal bests.

Both MC Hayes and Adriana Chacon will make the 11 hour drive to Chandler, AZ to represent LHS nationally. With her being the Marksmanship team commander, it gives her a chance to show everyone what LHS has to offer.

Most of the Marksmanship competitions take place either in the LHS APR, or other schools with facilities similar to that. This will be her first time participating in a competition of this scale.

“Yes, I feel prepared. You have to mentally and physically prepare for this. Shooting takes a lot from the mind; you have to stay focused.”, said Adriana, regarding how prepared she is for the challenge ahead of her.

With there being nearly 300 cadets competing, it’ll be quite a fierce competition. But, seeing how well Chacon has done in the past, she should definitely be able to pull through and get a high score.