The official student publication since 1918

Westerner World

• Congratulations to Dalton Hopkins for earning a spot in the Junior Olympics

• 44 students advanced to the regional competition for UIL.

• Chess Club placed first in their competition

• LHS Academic Decathalon is currently ranked fourth in Texas

St. Patty’s Day

Bryana Flores, Staff Writer

St. Patrick’s Day happens every year on March 17th to celebrate the Irish tradition.

St. Patrick’s Day first started as a religious feast day for the patron saint of Ireland according to www.history.com and is now an international holiday. The name of this holiday came from the saint “Patrick” of Ireland.

The Irish culture holds festivals, parades, special foods and dancing to celebrate this day. Many festivals are held all over the world to show the celebration of Irish immigrants in the city according to www.english-zone.com.

“Each year I travel out of town for Spring Break and this is when St. Patrick’s Day falls so depending on where my family and I travel we usually go to parades, festivals and eat at fancy restaurants,” freshman Cassandra Camacho said.

All over the world to celebrate this special day green is supposed to be worn as a sign of being invisible to leprechauns according to www.csmonitor.com. Anyone who did not wear green would get pinched as a reminder that leprechauns would sneak up and pinch “green –abstainers”.

“I wear green to follow the tradition of St. Patrick’s Day and not to get pinched,” senior Summer Maldonado said.

Pinching occurs to anyone not wearing green and anyone can pinch anyone to keep up the spirit according to www.etonline.com.

“On St. Patrick’s Day if I see someone not wearing green I pinch them automatically it is just the spirit,” junior Mary Grace Cude said.

In some cities restaurants turn some of their foods, drinks and even decorate their restaurant green on this day to make it special.

“I love going to Raising Canes on this day because they make the day special by turning their lemonade green for the whole day,” junior Diane Salazar said.

In other cities like Chicago they dye their rivers green according to www.chicagotribune.com. The dying process takes place between Wabash Avenue and Columbus Drive in Chicago. A large boat travels through the river and dumps 40 pounds of powder which is actually orange but when it mixes with the water it gives it a green effect and lasts a couple of days.

St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated all over the world in different cities holding many festivals to show this spirit.