Westerner World

Spread of the Flu

Alexa Najjar, Staff

Due to a bad flu season, many students here at Lubbock High are missing out on learning and getting behind on work.
“I have gotten the flu twice this season and so have my parents,” Tatum Morris said.
Many students with big families have ended up getting it too, making it hard to overcome when other members have it. A total of about 34 million people have gotten the flu this year. The flu has even been .2% away from being considered an epidemic in the US.
“This year I got the flu shot, but that didn’t work considering I’ve gotten it twice. I also make sure to wash my hands and use hand sanitizer,” Morris said.
One of the most effective things you can do o not get the flu is getting the flu shot, but it hasn’t prevented everyone from getting it. Washing your hands and often and taking plenty of vitamins are some more effective precautions doctors are advising, as well as using hand sanitizer.
“When I got the flu I had the worst headache, constant stomach aches, and bad congestion,” Morris said.
Many of the students have experienced stomach aches, congestion, and body aches. Flu A, or Influenza A- H3N2, a more dominant strain, is highly worse this year making many students miss days of school.
“My family got me Tamiflu medicine and I stayed home and just laid in bed for a few days.”
Lots of families get Tamiflu, but some families aren’t able to purchase the medicine and so it takes much longer for their members of the family to get over the illness. Families who don’t get cured as soon as possible have a higher chance of getting other members sick and the flu cycles throughout the family.
“When my mom had the flu before I got it, she tried not to be around me and it was difficult for her to provide me food and transportation,” Morris said.
For some families it’s hard for students to get rides to school and other extracurricular activities because the students’ parents are sick as well.
“I missed 1 day of school because I stayed home with my sick parents, as well as the days I missed from having this flu,” Morris said.
Students who get the flu have to come into tutorials to make up tests and quizzes, get missing homework, and start projects the other kids have already gotten. It is hard for the students to catch up and be able to finish work from the days they missed and also do the current assignments they have.
“Because I was sick for so long, I missed out on taking a geometry and human geo test. I wasn’t able to perform at a basketball game for Pom, and I didn’t get to practice our competition dance with my team for a few days.”
For students involved in other activities, they miss out on their other after school hobbies, as well as not being able to go to school events, or not being able to hang out with friends.