The official student publication since 1918

Westerner World

• Congratulations to Dalton Hopkins for earning a spot in the Junior Olympics

• 44 students advanced to the regional competition for UIL.

• Chess Club placed first in their competition

• LHS Academic Decathalon is currently ranked fourth in Texas

Seniors Finding Their Way

Hannah Hovrud, Staff Writer

The previous three years of high school went by in the blink of an eye, and this year was no different for the seniors, but now they have a whole future ahead of them to plan.
“These last four years at Lubbock High, with its rigorous academics, has prepared me for the future more than any other school might have,” senior Sagar Patel said.
Most seniors have already submitted their applications for their colleges and have their futures planned out by now. They’ve made these decisions with the help of their friends and family, and now most of them are ready to go do it on their own.
“My friends and family are what have helped me decide my future career because people I know have dealt with what I want to work closely with,” senior Emily Osbourne said.
Senior year is when a lot of students are preparing for college, and it can be very stressful at times. Some students still don’t know what to do after high school, while other have every detail planned of what they want to do with their lives after graduation.
“I believe I will be the funniest person ever known. I will be the host of the Tonight Show, and after that I will go on to direct movies and go on to win a Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award(s),” senior Nicholas Castro said.
An important key for seniors at this time is to avoid burnout. Students have their high school work, college planning, social activities, family obligations, and outside activities (such as jobs, volunteering, etc.) – all demanding their time. Seniors have to be sure and have their life balanced, and don’t take themselves too seriously.
“I want to hopefully just be happy with whatever it is I’m doing after high school. I want to be able to live my life, and enjoy myself,” Patel said.
When students are about to graduate, they have to focus on issues such as what success means to them and what’s important in their life. Around this time in the year, is a great time to reflect on life goals and a future career.
“This year, I learned that I have to be super patient with myself, and I can’t let things bother me as much as they do. For my life goals and future career, I have to stay calm and know how to deal with so many different people,” Osbourne said.
For many, having a job that pays good money is the most important thing. But for other students, they want to do something for themselves in the future and expand in what they’re good at.
“I’ve known what I wanted to do since I was nine years old. I have a burning passion in making people laugh, and I believe my legacy will be great,” Castro said.
So yes, senior year is a long time to prepare for the real world. It can be very stressful and scary at times, but students have to be sure and still enjoy themselves. Seniors still need to make as many high school memories as possible because they may not believe it right now, but years from now they’re going to wish high school never ended.
“To all the future seniors, I recommend you don’t slack off because it’s not worth it, and also know that this is as easy as your life will ever be, so make it count,” Osbourne said.