Westerner World

Filed under Showcase

The Greatest Showman Review

The movie, The Greatest Showman, gives the audience a look into life of the showman P.T. Barnum who became one of the most successful individuals in show business. Although he came from nothing, he fulfilled his dreams by becoming one of the most successful showmen.
Barnum, played by Hugh Jackman, wanted to create something nobody had seen before, something that would leave a smile on people’s faces and have them leaving wanting more. He created a circus with different kinds of animals ranging from tigers to elephants, having different kinds of people that, in this time period, wouldn’t have been accepted because they were considered “weird.”
Such as the bearded lady, Lettie Cruz who loved to sing, played by Keala Settle, she did an amazing job at playing her part and has a wonderful voice that definitely blew people away leaving Barnum wanting her to perform in his show.
They also had some Disney stars in this fascinating movie, such as Zendaya who plays an acrobat named Anne Wheeler who went through some struggles in the movie for her race. As this was taken place in a time where colored people were still not accepted, she did such a wonderful job and did great at the trapeze stunts, Zendaya later saying she didn’t use the stunt double much and did most of the stunts herself, which is mind blowing.
We also had a nice musical comeback from High School Musicals Zac Efron, who plays Phillip, Barnum’s partner in show business who later was honored the showman position.
We also have General Tom Thumb a dwarf who performed skits throughout the circus, played by Sam Humphrey, and we also have Captain Costentenus or “Tattoo man”, played by Shannon Holtzapffel, and of course many more astonishing acts.
This movie was not only fun to watch but, gives everyone a positive message throughout the whole movie.
An interracial relationship takes place in this movie, which this movie was again taken place in a period of time where people didn’t accept colored people or mixed people such as Anne. But not only did they not accept her but they didn’t accept interracial relationships. P.T. Barnum did accept Anne, and her relationship with Phillip.
But not only did he accept her he accepted everyone no matter what which is why he picked the people he did for his career. He gave them a life that they deserved and wanted them to be out in the spotlight. And in the movie they also have the amazing song “This is me” showing that the people cannot change who they are and they are that way for a reason. And they want the same things as everyone else in their lives.
But as most people know, this was based off of the real P.T. Barnum’s life, and though not everything would be accurate, most of it was.
For instance P.T. Barnum never had a love affair, but however, his museum really did get burned down but the origins of the fire were never really discovered like they were in the movie. And General Tom Thumb was not in his twenties when Barnum took him in, Barnum actually adopted him when he was just four years old.
Although the movie still gives the audience a good representation of Barnum’s career, and even made it more interesting my making it a musical.
Overall this “movie musical” was amazing, it had positive songs and messages throughout. It is a movie for people of all ages to enjoy, giving everyone a look into the famous P.T. Barnum’s life, and his life as the greatest showman.