Westerner World

Filed under Showcase

Stephen Hawking dies at 76

On March 14th, 2018, renowned physicist Stephen Hawking died in his home in Cambridge, England. Considering he was afflicted with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis(ALS) and how long he lived past the doctors expectations, it can be said that he lived quite a full life.

Starting off, Hawking was born January 8th, 1942 in Oxford, England to Frank and Isobel Hawking. Throughout his childhood, his parents placed a lot of focus on his education, as both of them were highly educated themselves. It was during his secondary years that he began to take an interest in mathematics and science.

After graduating from St. Albans School, Hawking attended The University of Oxford to study physics and chemistry. After three years, he finished his undergraduate studies and went onto The University of Cambridge to further pursue his education and obtain his PhD

It was during this time that he was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, a disease that progressively paralyzes and eventually kills the affected person.

Despite being told he would only have two more years to live, Hawking continued to push on and make progress. He became even more passionate about his studies, obtaining his PhD and going on to explore various theories and expanding/researching them further. At this point, Hawking started to build a following and became one of the most famous scientists the world has known

After finishing his schooling, Stephen Hawking went on to work with fellow cosmologists, eventually becoming one of the most notable scientists in human history. He became famous for his theories on black holes and how they truly worked, as cosmologists didn’t fully understand their functions until Stephen came into the field.

Hawking also worked as a professor at both The University of Oxford and The University of Cambridge, teaching mathematics, physics, and cosmology.

Hawking became an author, writing several books and essays over the subjects that he was most passionate about, that being science and math. A Brief History of Time, The Universe in a Nutshell, and The Theory of Everything were a few of his published works

The news of his passing has drawn many responses from people all around the world Ranging from fellow scientists to movie stars, people everywhere have been paying their respects to Hawking, thanking him for all of his contributions to the world of science.

Despite being told he would only have 2 more years to live at the age of 21, Stephen Hawking exceeded the doctors expectations and went on to live 55 additional years. May he rest peacefully.