Westerner World

Filed under Showcase

Love, Simon Review

Love, Simon is a love story that has a bit of a twist on it. Simon, played by Nick Robinson, is a senior in high school who hasn’t told his family or his three best friends Leah, played by Katherine Langford, Nick, played by Jorge Lendeborg Jr., and Abby, played by Alexandra Shipp, that he is gay.
Leah, however, one day out finds on their school website that there is a kid who is also gay and is telling everyone he has a normal life, but he just has a secret that no one knows of.
Simon replies immediately to the boy who goes by “Blue” telling him he is going through the same things and sends Blue an anonymous message, Simon anxiously waits for Blue’s response. After Blue responds, the two begin talking every day and Simon begins to have the urge to find out who Blue is.
However things begin to change for Simon when a kid named Martin, played by Logan Miller, blackmails him after screenshotting Simons emails after he forgot to log off his computer at school. Martin informs Simon he won’t tell anyone if he sets him up with his crush Abby. Simon is hesitant at first but goes with it to keep his secret safe.
This is when the movie just takes a turn entirely Simon tries his best to set up Martin and Abby. While doing so, Simon is still tries to find out who Blue is, however the ‘mystery boy’ doesn’t want to be found.
Later in the movie, Martin doesn’t succeed in getting with Abby and eventually leaks out Simon’s secret, keeping himself anonymous. Simon doesn’t find out until his best friend Leah calls him and tells him to look on the website, and that’s when the tears begin.
At this point, everything makes you realize no matter what people should respect others privacy, no matter the situation because it can really hurt someone and make them feel powerless. And that’s what we begin to see and this point of the movie because Simon wanted to be the one that lets people know about him, and he didn’t get that opportunity.
Though most of his high school knew his secret his mom, played by Jennifer Garner, and dad, played by Josh Duhamel, didn’t though Simon knew that they would be accepting he was still nervous. His younger sister Nora, played by Talitha Bateman, knew his secret and wanted her brother to tell his parents himself.
Simon finally tells his parents and says he’s still the same person, his dad walks off and his mom lets him know they still love him and don’t think of him differently. Later in the movie his mom tells him she knew something was different about him and she could see Simon was holding back and she wished she could’ve helped him.
Throughout this movie Simon struggles a lot, with his own self, his family and friends just try and support him throughout the whole movie. There are many ups and downs but in the end Simon finds out who Blue really is and it may leave you shocked.