The official student publication since 1918

Westerner World

• Congratulations to Dalton Hopkins for earning a spot in the Junior Olympics

• 44 students advanced to the regional competition for UIL.

• Chess Club placed first in their competition

• LHS Academic Decathalon is currently ranked fourth in Texas

A New Era

A Girl's Basketball Team on the Rise

wehsblueprint.com

Shane Williams, Staff Writer

This has been a girls’ basketball season for the books; after going 3-4 in district and 9-18 overall, the varsity girls head into the playoffs for the first time in school history. This has also been a memorable year for first year head coach, Coach Thompson.

“Words cannot describe what it means to us as a team,” said Thompson. “It has been a phenomenal season, and it means so much for us to make history for this program and for Lubbock High.”

Alicia Thompson, now known by all those at Lubbock High as Coach Thompson, has a long history with basketball. Thompson began playing basketball at Reagan County High School, where she was part of the Second All-State team, and was recruited by Texas Tech to play basketball for the school. Thompson played all four years, and in doing so, became second on Tech’s all-time leader list for rebounds.

After her time at Texas Tech, Thompson went on to be drafted in the first round of the WNBA draft by the New York Liberty. She also went on to play for the Indiana Fever and the Seattle Storm, which she led to a WNBA championship in 2004.

After ending her time as a basketball player, Thompson began her coaching career at Wylie East High School, located northeast of Dallas, where she coached for a number of years. When the opportunity presented itself, Thompson decided being at Lubbock High would be the best fit for her and for the Lady Westerner team.

“I saw an opportunity to impact and change the mentality of future generations and this basketball program as a whole,” said Thompson.

Coach Thompson has also been able to completely change the mentality of the team and the stands, creating an atmosphere that is as absorbing as it is exhilarating. Thompson has also been able to bring together and mold a team that works together and acts as a team.

“The games are fun to watch, and the girls have been playing with passion and toughness along with togetherness,” said Thompson.

This seemingly new girls’ basketball team has also lighted a spark in the players on the team. Coach Thompson has chosen to inspire and work the girls she coaches. For many of the players, this has been some of the hardest yet most rewarding basketball they have played.

“Coach Thompson is an amazing coach, she pushes us to our limits because she knows we can go far and be successful in this program,” said junior basketball player Chelsea Millner.

Thompson has also produced many star players this year. Between Millner, freshman Keaira Garcia, and Clarissa Francis, who dropped 24 point to beat then No. 22 Plainview, Thompson has lots of young starpower and the potential to do the same next year as they did this year.

“I expect next year’s team to do amazing things. I believe they will continue to grow leaps and bounds,” said Thompson.
Regardless of what happens next year, this year will remain as a building block for not only the girls’ basketball team, but for all Lubbock High sports. Lubbock High School is a place that is filled with history, and this year’s female basketball team has shown that we don’t have to just look at history through showcase glass, it shows that history can be made every day.