Westerner World

Winter Olympics on the Show

Beronica Murillo, Staff

This year the Winter Olympics are going to be hosted in PyeongChang, South Korea 2018. This will be the first ever Winter Olympics hosted in South Korea. The grand Opening Ceremony is going to happen February 9th, 2018.

“I am excited for this year’s Winter Olympics. I am very curious into what this year’s ceremony is going to look like,” Freshmen Lillian Smith said.

South Korea has worked hard to be the host the 23rd Winter Olympics. The county has tried two times before but failed, but won it fairly this time. South Korea has been planning on basing the ceremony on the country’s culture.

“I don’t know what to expect for this year’s Olympics ceremony. I am really excited to know how South Korea is going to present the opening ceremony. I just know that my favorite part is when they light the torch on fire,” Smith said.

The Winter Olympics is also going to be a big event for North Korea. South Korea and North Korea have made an agreement on making one team this year’s Winter Olympics Game.

For the PyeongChang Winter Olympics, North Korea has a few athletes who were able to qualify for this year’s Winter Games.

“I think it is a good idea that South Korea and North Korea has settled their differences for the games and conjoined both teams together. I also think it is great because they can then have more athletes to represent their countries,” Smith said.

This year more than 240 athletes from the United States are competing in this year’s Winter Olympics. Hoping to bring a medal for the United States.

“I really hope that the United States athlete win lots of medals for the United States. I especially would like the figure skating team to be one to win lots of medal for the US team,” Smith said.

This year’s flag barrier was Erin Hamlin, 4-time Olympian, for the Nations Parade during the Opening Ceremony.

About 92 countries are to be expected to compete in this year’s Olympics. Hoping that the athletes will win a medal and make their county proud.

The United States Winter Olympic Team has now won four gold medals, one silver medal, and two bronze medals giving the total of six medals and in counting.

United States athlete 17 years old Redmond Gerard placed first and received one the first golden medal for the US team on February 10. He went from 11th place to first place in slope style event, giving a shocking performance to the judges. He is now known to be the youngest Olympic champion in snowboarding.

Jaime Anderson defender on the gold medal has won again in the women’s Olympic slope style event on February 11. She gave the US team the second gold medal for this Winter Olympics.

Cloe Kim, a 17 American athlete, placed first in the women’s halfpipe. Giving the US team their 3rd golden medal in this year’s Olympics. Kim is now known as the youngest halfpipe medalist. She scored the two highest scores in this year’s Olympics.

Shaun White, claimed the 3rd Olympic gold medal letting the US to celebrate their 100th gold. White placed first in the men’s halfpipe, scoring 97.75 in his final run.

Chris Mazderz gave the US team their first a silver medal. Mazderz had placed 2nd in men lunge’s event on February 10.

Arielle Gold won the first bronze medal this year’s Olympics for the US team. Gold placed 3rd in the Women’s Halfpipe on February 12.

The US team for figure skating placed 3rd on February 11. Giving the second bronze medal for the US Winter Olympics Team this year.

This is just the start of the Winter Olympics. There are still many more events to be on show. This year’s Olympics Games are expected to end in the closing ceremony in February 25th.