Westerner World

Super Bowl

Lexi Najjar

Lexi Najjar

Steven Vasquez, Staff

On February 4th one of the biggest sporting event in America aired, the super bowl it was a real grudge match between the Philadelphia Eagles and the New England Patriots with the score ended up being 41-33.
This game was full of game changing and exciting events to make this the most viewed football game this year.
To start it off the Philadelphia Eagles came out to a song by local Philadelphia rapper Meek Mill “Dreams and Nightmares”.
“I thought they were going to get smoked coming out that confident,” Christian Longoria said.
Most people were watching this game expecting the patriots to win over the underdog Philadelphia Eagles.
“I was rooting for the patriots they have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, they are the greatest to ever do it and will be hall of famers,” Jerimiah Vasquez said on who he was rooting for and why.
So to start the game the Philadelphia Eagles scored first with a field goal. Then the patriots come down and end up with the same results and get a field goal as well.
The score is 3-3 at this point but then the Eagles drive push the ball to the 43 yard line it is 2cnd down then the Eagles offense send Alshon Jeffery on a streak route all the way to the end zone then toss it up and boom the Eagles have the first touchdown of the super bowl taking the lead and making the score 9-3.
Multiple people felt that the patriots not starting their star corner back Malcom Butler caused Alshon Jeffery to go 8 for 11 in catching and have 102 yards and a touchdown.
“Yes, they would have won if Malcom Butler started,” Longoria said on Malcom Butler not starting.
After that possession the patriots take their possession end up in the redone try to kick a field goal but miss because the holder lost grip of the ball.
The eagles go on another drive in the second quarter the drive ends up on the other side of the 50 Nick Foles throws a deep ball, the corner pops the ball up in the air then the patriot’s safety catches the ball midair and that is the first interception of the game and only interception but not the only turnover of the game.
The patriots start at the 15 yard line with a few runs from their running back they are out of the red and in the clear for another good drive. The next play Tom Brady throws to his inside wide receiver Brandon Cooks for 15 once he catches it he stops and looks to make more yards he cuts in then turns left and cuts to the sideline but before he can cut to the sideline the Eagles corner blindsides Cooks . After the hit Cooks is found on the floor and the trainers pick him up, he is takin to the sideline and is checked up by the trainers. Later that game Cooks is issued to be out the rest of the game with a head injury.
“Yes, he already caught for a bunch of yards and it was only second quarter,” Vasquez said on if the pats would of won if Cooks never got injured.
The patriots would go on to be in the red zone again but still not to score a TD so once again they go for another field goal and just like the other one they miss and give the ball right back to Foles and the Eagles.
Eagles go on another good drive ending up on the other 45 the center snaps the ball to Foles, he throws it and to number 30 with another touchdown for the eagles making the score 16-3.
The eagles kick the ball of and Tom Brady goes on another drive to try and score before the half ends. This drive was focused on running the ball and running the ball they did. Their starting running back breaks for a 20 yard touchdown breaking 3 tackles on the way making the score 16-9 ending the half.
This starts the half time show with Justin Timberlake being the act.
“This was the worst super bowl performance ever,” Chris Garcia said on the super bowl half time performance by Justin Timberlake.
The half time performance finishes and the patriots are the first team to receive the ball so this half starts out as a Brady to Rob Gronkowski show. With Brady connecting to Gronkowski 5 times on this drive including a touchdown on this drive tying the game up at 16-16
With that touchdown this starts a battle with each team going back and forth with TD after TD and the score ending up to be 33-26 the pats get the ball and score a touchdown making the game tied up.
The Eagles and Foles go on a drive and use the patriots own trick play on them to score a touchdown with Foles making him the first quarterback with a receiving touchdown in the super bowl. With 3 minutes to go and the score being 41-33 the pats go on a game winning drive or so they thought.
Brandon Graham sacks Brady and strips the ball cause a game winning turnover to make the Eagles win their first ever super bowl in a grand finally.
“I knew the eagles where going to win after that strip,” Nick Webster on what he thought after he saw the strips sack.
Some people say that if it wasn’t for that strip sack by Graham the Eagle would not have won the super bowl.
“We would have been super bowl champs if it wasn’t for that strip sack by their d-end,” Vasquez said on what would happen if Brady was never sacked for the football.
The offense and defense put up good numbers for both teams with this being the most yards combined for both teams in a super bowl.
“Everything, they both won it the offense kept the ball from Brady and gave less time to Brady and Belichick’s offense to go to work and the defense made great stops and good field position for the offense to work with and score,” Longoria said on the reason the Eagles won the super bowl.
With that being said this was a good game and a game that will end the football season.