Westerner World

Winter Olympics 2018

Ysabella Saenz, Staff

The 2018 winter Olympics are approaching soon and many people will be watching it when it airs on February 8th and the news and people around the world will tune in to watch it, Sophomore Chance McDavid tells us what his favorite sport to watch in the winter Olympics is,
“Snowboarding is my favorite because not only is it so cool to watch, but the crazy training it takes to do to do the flips and balancing is mind blowing” McDavid said.
But not only do they care for sports but most people have a love for a certain athlete, whether they look up to them, or just believe they are really good at the sport they partake in they always root for this individual when they compete. Sophomore Braeden Cedillo gives his opinion on his favorite winter Olympic athlete,
“Ted Ligety is my all-time favorite on the USA team, he had a great last run in the winter Olympics of 2014 and I just love his excitement and love for the sport and how he always gives 120% for everything”, Cedillo said.
But with going for a favorite athlete you must also have a particular country you go for, maybe you think they are good at every sport they do, or you just have an appreciation for them Ciedillo gives his team preference, and also which team he would go for if he had to choose another one,
“Honestly I am all for USA, but if I had to cheer for another it would be China just because of their work ethnicity over there when they train is amazing” Cedillo said.
Since the Winter Olympics has many sports to watch, everyone may not watch all of the excitement, and may only tune into the ones that catch their eyes. McDavid says whether he watches all of them or only a few,
“I only watch the ones that interest me, and those are figure skating, snowboarding, and hockey, to me they are all intense and are fun to watch” McDavid said.
And as we know, there are two “types” of Olympics, the summer and winter, and they all have different sports, since of course they are in different types of seasons, McDavid and Cedillo both give their opinion on which is more exciting to watch,
“I prefer the summer, because they have more enjoyable sports including swimming and diving, track, and gymnastics”, McDavid said.
Cedillo, however has a differing opinion, and preferring more of the winter Olympic sports,
“I prefer more of the winter Olympics, the sports are better and more exciting and because of the fact that I can handle the cold better than the hot beating sun”, Cedillo said.
Both summer and winter Olympics are entertaining to watch, and leaves people on the edge of their seats, but everyone will soon be able to enjoy the winter Olympics.