The official student publication since 1918

Westerner World

• Congratulations to Dalton Hopkins for earning a spot in the Junior Olympics

• 44 students advanced to the regional competition for UIL.

• Chess Club placed first in their competition

• LHS Academic Decathalon is currently ranked fourth in Texas

New Meaning to Veterans Day

Veterans Day has now opened into female veterans who have served in positions previously unavailable to women.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/08/16/opinion/sunday/16thorpe/16thorpe-master1050.jpg

Shane Williams, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

In the past, Veterans Day has served as an important and historic holiday. From the laying of the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider to the Veterans Day parades, honoring our former soldiers has always been a day of respect and honor. This Veterans Day is different however, as it is the first Veterans Day since the military has opened all combat positions to women, creating a new generation of female soldiers and eventually a new generation of female veterans.

Originally named Armistice Day to mark the armistice that ended World War I, November 11 became known as Veterans Day in 1954 by President Eisenhower to honor veterans of all wars, not just those of World War I.

Today Veterans Day is celebrated on November 11th, reminiscent of Armistice Day while also honoring all veterans in the United States. This Veterans Day falls almost a year after Secretary of Defense Ash Carter announced that all combat roles would be opened to women on December 3rd 2015.

“Veterans Day means we pay our respects to our veterans past, present, and future. With women being able to serve more Veterans Day now means that more people will have more veterans to look up to,” said NJROTC cadet Alex Morton.

Morton, am NJROTC cadet, hopes to become a mechanic or a meteorologist in the Air Force; however, because of the announcement made last December by the Defense Department  she can now become a Green Beret, Army Ranger, or a member of the Marine Corps.

“I think this is very important because I believe that women can serve and lead just as well as men,” said Morton. “My Aunt Staci, who is an Army veteran, inspired me to join NJROTC and hopefully eventually the military.”

The announcement made by the Defense Department will not only affect current soldiers, but also veterans in the future. Already there are 1.8 million female veterans in the U.S. out of 18.8 million veterans in total. This number is expected to rise, and a large number of these future female soldiers are or will be in NJROTC in their high school career. NJRTOTC hopes to shape and develop both males and females into the future leaders in the military.

“I have learned discipline and leadership, which I have learned is not what position you have but how you step up and take charge,” said junior and NJROTC cadet Alyssa Mercado.

NJROTC also strives to honor and serve veterans in the U.S. by recognizing the difficulties they face and by living up to the same values and morals that members of the military are expected to uphold.

“We honor the ones that risk their lives for us and served for us. My cousin risked her life by serving in the military and she will forever be the strongest for me,” said NJROTC cadet Shania Herrera.

This Veterans Day, citizens around the U.S. and cadets in NJROTC honor veterans in a different way, both by honoring but also by celebrating the opportunities that women now have in the military and future generations of women being inspired by female veterans. This Veterans Day, female students in NJROTC are made aware of the history being made and future of the military in the hand of Lubbock High’s own NJROTC cadets.