Westerner World

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

LISD TV

Since the start of this school year, LISD TV students have been working hard at the Byron Martin Advanced Technological Center to cover stories for the district.
LISD TV is a 24/7 television station that has been running for the last 30 years, allowing viewers worldwide to be inspired and kept up to date with district events and performances. They host original programming such as Keepin’ It Reel, a show that features the students on LISD TV, The Connection Show, which gives you DIY hacks for the season, and LISD News Updates. LISD TV’s goal is to provide students hands-on experience in the processes of pre-production, production, and post-production.
“Some projects/assignments made by students end up on the station. We also run cameras, sound direct for sporting events or events in the district,” Junior Leticia Martinez, a student in the Introduction to A/V Production class, said.
First-year students who participated in the Principles of Arts, A/V Production and Communications classes last year are now involved with the A/V Production class hosted at the ATC, also known as LISD TV. Students are expected to operate cameras, soundboards and direct, among other extensive responsibilities hidden behind the screen.
”I want to go into video production and start my own business doing work for people,” Senior Alex Voland, a student in the Introduction to A/V Production, said.
LISD TV was started in 1985 by Dr. Alice French, specifically for Dunbar-Struggs High School. Now, it has grown into a districtwide activity that any student can participate in. Located in the ATC, a state-of-the-art facility, only the best teachers are hired for the jobs. Nathan Edgar, who works with other LISD TV teachers Carol Alonzo and Elizabeth Sewell, teaches an A/V Production class 5th and 6th period.
“I have worked as a photog at a TV station, worked for ESPN and Fox Sports, made TV commercials for an advertising agency and been with LISD TV for 2 years,” Nathan Edgar, an IT Manager for LISD-TV, said.
A class that combines people who love being in front of a camera and those who want to stay behind it, features a unique environment for relationships. Introverts and extroverts work together to create a quality production. People of varying experiences also gather in A/V Club, the afterschool class that gets more in-depth and hands-on with related material.
“We work with Intro, Advanced, and some intern students and then the staff at the TV Station,” Martinez said.
Students and teachers agree the relationships created in the class have a direct impact on the quality of the production. As soon as you enter the studio, communication becomes the most vital part of the production, not what you learned in the classroom.
“Students are the backbone of LISD TV. We are only as good as our students,” Edgar said.
As lucrative as the film industry is, international opportunities are available for those who desire to work in the entertainment business. Production teachers try to give these options to students who are serious about their careers and open up opportunities for trips to production and communication hubs like Dallas and Nashville.
“We have access to industry equipment and software, and also trips to studios and news stations,” Voland said.
An Advanced A/V Production class and even an internship is available for those who wish to continue on the Production pathway. Students typically focus on one of the many types of studio work like sports broadcasting, news broadcasting, and creative films.
“It is an intense year that really develops your skills in one niche that can really jump start your career,” Edgar said.